Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from Africa and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200 tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
About the Team
The People team at Andela partners with leaders and our people to help them fulfill their potential, and realize transformational outcomes for our business and our customers. We share accountability for not only people initiatives, but also the success of the organization we support.
Our team has a broad background in many areas of HR, and we are experts in addressing employee, management, and organizational challenges. We are by turns grand visionaries, service with a smile, cat herders and camp counselors..
Relationships: Cultivate and nurture strong relationships with key stakeholders, other internal teams, and most importantly within the People team to become a trusted advisor.
Strategy: Partner with Global Ops lead/People leadership team to identify chronic operational challenges and opportunities. Craft and implement strategies to cultivate a more employee centric function, optimized for an exceptional experience and easy access to information. While you will have a large team to execute, you are someone who will roll their sleeves up and dive into the details when required.
Lead & Develop the Africa People Ops Team: Set the vision, operating model and regular goals for the Africa Ops team. Help the team navigate through difficult situations, coach the team to success, deliver tough feedback when required. Actively engage the team to develop in their roles, identifying learning opportunities and supporting their career growth.
This is anything but your standard “HR Operations” role. You’ll be the leader and guardian of our Andelans. From performance and productivity, community to culture, this is a challenging role with high expectations.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of meaningful experience in an HR operations leadership role in a challenging and changing environment. Your knowledge and experience are both broad and deep from employment law and best practices to talent management. Experience with design and implementation of a shared service model preferred.
- Key contributor to the functionality of core people systems: BambooHR, Small Improvements and leverage our HR Systems to reduce administrative burden and improve people data integrity;
- Directs fulfillment and maintenance of team’s regulatory reporting, compliance programs and records retention;
- Develop effective training, support tools, and communication to support the implementation of processes, policies and programs;
- Responsible for project planning from conception to delivery of key people operations initiatives. Including; determining and documenting business requirements, streamlining and improving current processes and presenting new programs to relevant stakeholders as appropriate;.
- Lead a team of HR specialists who are responsible for HR operations, payroll, benefits, and HR tools, policies, processes across 6 countries;
- Create visibility into the impact of the Africa People Ops function, initiatives and progress.
- Strong track record of problem solving and leveraging data to inform decisions;
- Extensive experience and familiarity working across East and West Africa;
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to communicate complex thoughts and strategies with simple, actionable recommendations;
- 9+ years relevant experience;
- Highly collaborative and enjoys working cross-functionally;
- Meaningful experience in a global role and comfortable working in a high growth, fast paced environment;
- Ability to prioritize and succeed in a highly ambiguous environment with competing demands;.
- Comfortable negotiating and managing expectations, influencing up, challenging thoughtfully;
- Expert in leveraging Human Resources Information Systems to achieve growth at scale while providing a great experience to employees;
- Exercise sound judgment and discretion, exceptional ethical leadership;
- Detail orientation with excellent organizational, prioritization skills.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.