Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Role
Andela is seeking a People Director to lead our strategic people function in Nigeria. This is an amazing opportunity for a passionate and talented HR leader to innovate alongside a stellar growing people team and equally passionate and driven leadership. You’ll be tasked with building our organizational capacity and ensure we are creating an environment in which our people can realize their full potential.
To be successful in this role, you will take a true partnership approach to your work, thoughtfully balancing the needs of the people team, your country and the broader organization. You will provide objective guidance on a range of people topics and coach leaders & managers on talent management, professional development, workforce planning, performance management, culture, leadership development etc. The Senior Strategist will also work collaboratively with HR Centers of Excellence and Shared Services to develop and deliver integrated People solutions seamlessly in their location.
This role reports into VP of People.
About the role:
Strategy Development and Implementation
- Partner with leaders, managers and individuals to identify and address broad, chronic organizational challenges and opportunities
- Craft and implement strategies to address everything from workforce planning and compensation budgets, to talent management and succession planning, reward and engagement strategies, performance management, staffing strategies and organizational design. You will be the connector to other functions creating a seamless experience across the employee lifecycle.
- Lead in the local execution of Global Andela People strategies.
- Place our greatest asset – OUR PEOPLE at the center of everything we do, especially in how we manage through change.
- Play a vital role on the Nigeria Leadership Team
Coach, Inspire, Influence
- Create sustained solutions to manager, team, and individual challenges through a variety of coaching and mediation approaches.
- Design and implement innovative and engaging programs to drive the evolution of the Nigeria office.
- Coach your team to provide strategic partnership to local managers and manage employee relations effectively.
- Provide timely and actionable feedback to ensure we elevate the level of service and partnership in the country.
Organization development and Change Management
- Innovate and create opportunities to operationalize and scale Andela’s unique culture
- Manage organizational development strategies and processes for departments including performance management, talent development, team effectiveness, and leadership coaching.
- Leverage existing talent management processes and programs to understand the talent in Nigeria and create visibility for next generation leadership.
- Lead the way in ensuring that Andelans appreciate the linkage of performance to growth, recognition and reward.
- Provide professional expertise and support in the design, development and implementation of the talent review process that is required to achieve business goals and results in the creation of an internal pool of top talent.
- Collaborate with centres of excellence in the People Team to develop, roll out effective programs for workforce retention, promotion and succession planning.
- Work closely with the line managers to prepare talent maps for business unit to career progression and feed leadership pipeline.
- Advise and support the Country Director and the Departmental Heads on staff turnover and propose measures for talent retention.
Connecting with Andelans
- Cultivate and nurture strong relationships with key stakeholders, other internal teams, and most importantly within People Team to become a trusted advisor.
- Support and advise the Country Director and senior People Team leadership on the opportunities for improvement of employee experience
- Enhance information sharing, modelling transparency and openness in how you engage
- Measure and monitor existing programs and experiences.
- Partner with the rest of the People Team in addition to external specialists to execute global strategic initiatives and priorities within the organization. This may include performance management, leadership development and 360 reviews, compensation planning, policy development and compliance, and terminations.
- You will have operational support, you are someone who will roll their sleeves up and dive into the most mundane of tasks!
A bit about you…
- Lead heart first, care deeply about both people and outcomes
- Put your relationships at the forefront of everything you do.
- Ability to create effective working partnerships with key stakeholders that enable you to execute effectively
- Strong interest in leveraging data to inform decisions (don’t worry if you aren’t an expert we have some of those!)
- Demonstrated ability in developing and executing a comprehensive HR strategy for a rapidly scaling population of 1000+
- Experience in a challenging, changing, complex business environment with a special focus on multiculturalism (and internationalism).
- Solid track record in design and implementation of employee engagement strategies that have meaningfully impacted the individual and organization experience
- 10+ years of HR professional experience in a range of sectors managing teams
- Knowledge of in-country employment regulations, e.g. Country labor/employee relations statutes and capacity to apply them to Andela. Ability to adapt applicable Global labour laws into local practices as required. Experience with other African countries is a plus.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.