Chipper is the largest mobile cross-border money transfer platform in Africa. We are a small passionate team, dedicated to expanding financial inclusion in some of the global regions most in need of accessible, interoperable, easy-to-use, and affordable financial services.
- As a product designer at a fast-growing early-stage company, you will have the opportunity to create massive impact – on the company, on the product, and, most importantly, on the lives and livelihoods of our users.
- We are a small team. You will be encouraged to engage in decision making that will establish the culture of design at Chipper Cash. There will be leadership roles available to early hires as the company continues to expand.
- Enjoy working from home? Coffee-shops? Co-working spaces? Pick any of the above! Our team is fully remote.
- We have a product team culture centered on open-communication, honest feedback, and personal responsibility. You will not be micromanaged.
- The Chipper team is truly global – on a daily basis, you might be interacting with team members in San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City, London, Brazil, Accra, Lagos, and Nairobi.
We don’t care very much about checking boxes, such as “X years of experience” or “Familiarity with X framework” to show that you’re qualified for this role. We’re looking for someone who enjoys framing tomorrow’s product strategy as much as throwing together a quick prototype to address today’s pain points. As a Product Designer, you’ll spend your time sketching out and validating ideas with research and building prototypes through to visual design. An ideal team member knows how to work with engineers to build a mobile experience and can demonstrate their work through their portfolio. Most importantly, we’re looking for designers who are early in their product careers and love learning and sharing their knowledge with others.
What You’ll Work On
- Design beautiful user interfaces and experiences within the Chipper Cash mobile application, working closely with engineers and researchers to make the app silky smooth and enjoyable to use – even for users who might be using a smartphone for the first time!
- Conduct competitive analyses and work with Growth Marketing and Customer Operations to determine competitive advantage for new product areas – including B2C, B2B and Developer-facing experiences
- Coordinate (and sometimes conduct your own) qualitative research to support initial product focus and determine flagship features
- Sketch, prototype and test lean designs that solve the highest priority pain points for new and existing users
Our Design Principles
Designers sit at the intersection of Product Management, Engineering and all other stakeholders within Chipper Cash. From pairing with developers to facilitating cross-team workshops, designers help bring ideas to life.
Designers are also responsible for incorporating Chipper’s design principles into their work. A Chipper experience is…
- Above all, Enjoyable
- Sometimes, this just means getting out of the user’s way and getting them to their goal quickly and easily. Other times, what’s enjoyable is a product that walks users through a challenging process in a delightful way.
- Variable, yet Consistent
- Chipper delivers products across a variety of markets, cultures and demographics. That means customers come to us with completely different mental models about their money, goals, and expectations. Chipper experiences may have to be adjusted to meet the needs of a market, or alternate use-case. Across these variations, a common look, feel and branding creates consistency – which, in turn, garners trust.
- Lean, yet Considered
- A product doesn’t help anyone if it’s sitting in a design file or locked in a recurring meeting. A lean design makes forward progress on a problem by focusing on shipping to end-users, instead of on polish or perfection during the design phase. What’s already built should inform the next step toward a solution. Designers consider alternatives by quickly driving toward a prototype and using it to gather fast feedback from internal teams and end-users.
If you feel you are a good fit, please apply because we would love to hear from you. If you have any professional links to your work like an online portfolio or LinkedIn profile, please include them. It means a lot to us that you have taken the time to read through our job description so thank you so much for your time. We wish you all the best in your job search.