Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from Africa and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200 tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
What You’ll Do
In this role, you will work as a Software QA Engineer within the Technology organization, building world-class internal and customer-facing products to support Andela’s business needs.
Our Andelan Engineers are renowned for their technical prowess. They are admired and respected for the depth of their technical expertise and leadership.
Our Andelan Engineers epitomize ownership. They take personal responsibility for Andela’s ability to continue to deliver value and building products that are key to helping Andela grow and scale as an organization.
- Use your knowledge in your core technology to delight our partners around the world.
- Be responsible for designing and implementing QA processes, develop test data and use it to perform testing tasks and prepare relevant test result reports.
- Proactively communicating and prioritizing effectively on tasks.
- Act as role-model even in the most difficult and challenging situations, using constructive feedback, mentorship, and universal respect.
What You’ll Bring
All Andela engineers go above and beyond. To find out more about additionally suggested competencies, check out our engineer framework.
A minimum of 3-4 years of professional experience, during which you’ve built technical knowledge on QA techniques and processes, and exercised ownership on various technical teams.
- Intermediate in at least one core language and one or more relevant frameworks as well as Beginner level understanding in an adjacent language
- Comfortable working with at least one cloud data storage solution.
- Hands-on experience with at least one global cloud provider.
- Able to run a root-cause analysis, report relevant information, and suggest remediation.
- Demonstrates a desire to problem-solve independently first, before seeking assistance.
- Familiar with the core concepts of CI/CD pipelines and able to progress code as required.
- Able to contribute to documentation, as needed, as part of code, code-delivery, onboarding, or any requested documentation maintained by the team.
- Understands testing tools and frameworks required to support the engineer’s core language/framework.
- Able to identify areas that can be automated in daily tasks.
- Takes ownership over his/her own work and also shows responsibility for the output of the team
- Completes tasks independently, with little to no feedback.
- Continuously self-reflective to look for areas of improvement and seek help when needed.
- Expert in planning and estimating, sets and meets expectations for on-time delivery, and takes complexity and scale into account when sizing larger bodies of work.
- Able to accurately select the right means of communication for the need, based on impacting variables, such as immediacy and complexity.
- Familiarity with the following specific tools:
- Testing tools: Selenium, Jest, Mocha, TestCafe, Chai
- Google Cloud Platform
- GraphQL based web services
- NestJS application framework
- TypeORM and Postgres
- Modern Angular application development
- Containerization tools: Docker, Kubernetes
- Cloud based CI/CD tools: CircleCI, CodeClimate
What You’ll Get
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds inside and outside of your field
- A chance to change the world for the better
May vary slightly based on location
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.