Chipper is the largest mobile cross-border money transfer platform in Africa. We are a small passionate team, dedicated to expanding financial inclusion in some of the global regions most in need of accessible, interoperable, easy-to-use, and affordable financial services.
- As a UX Researcher at a fast-growing early-stage company, you will have the opportunity to create massive impact – on the company, on the product, and, most importantly, on the lives and livelihoods of our users.
- We are a small team. You will be encouraged to engage in decision making that will establish the culture of UX research at Chipper Cash. There will be leadership roles available to early hires as the company continues to expand.
- Enjoy working from home? Coffee-shops? Co-working spaces? Pick any of the above! Our team is fully remote.
- We have a product team culture centred on open-communication, honest feedback, and personal responsibility. You will not be micromanaged.
- The Chipper team is truly global – on a daily basis, you might be interacting with team members in San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City, London, Brazil, Accra, Lagos, and Nairobi.
We don’t care very much about checking boxes, such as “X years of experience” or “Familiarity with X framework” to show that you’re qualified for this role. We’re looking for someone who enjoys talking to people and understanding what “makes them tick.” As a UX researcher, you’ll spend your time setting up and analyzing qualitative research and working with the design, growth marketing, and engineering teams to frame research questions. An ideal team member knows how to combine qualitative and quantitative data into a compelling story that can be shared across the business and be used to make decisions. Most importantly, we’re looking for researchers who love learning and sharing their knowledge with others.
What You’ll Work On
- Conduct research across the African continent and African diaspora. We use a combination of moderated and unmoderated methods to learn more about our users and bring their voice to design conversations
- Work with designers, growth marketing and other areas of the business to formulate research questions across a variety of markets – including B2C, B2B and Developer-facing experiences
- Maintain an insights library formulated from past and current research and identify gaps in our team’s knowledge of Chipper’s users.
Our Design Principles
Whether across an ocean or sitting a desk away, researchers work alongside designers in creating Chipper experiences. By translating data into insights, researchers bring the user’s voice into decision making conversations.
Researchers are also responsible for evaluating if Chipper’s design is meeting the expectations of our design principles. A Chipper experience is…
- Above all, Enjoyable
- Sometimes, this just means getting out of the user’s way and getting them to their goal quickly and easily. Other times, what’s enjoyable is a product that walks users through a challenging process in a delightful way.
- Variable, yet Consistent
- Chipper delivers products across a variety of markets, cultures and demographics. That means customers come to us with completely different mental models about their money, goals, and expectations. Chipper experiences may have to be adjusted to meet the needs of a market, or alternate use-case. Across these variations, a common look, feel and branding creates consistency – which, in turn, garners trust.
- Lean, yet Considered
- A product doesn’t help anyone if it’s sitting in a design file or locked in a recurring meeting. A lean design makes forward progress on a problem by focusing on shipping to end-users, instead of on polish or perfection during the design phase. What’s already built should inform the next step toward a solution. Designers consider alternatives by quickly driving toward a prototype and using it to gather fast feedback from internal teams and end-users.
If you feel you are a good fit, please apply because we would love to hear from you. If you have any professional links to your work like an online portfolio or LinkedIn profile, please include them. It means a lot to us that you have taken the time to read through our job description so thank you so much for your time. We wish you all the best in your job search.