Based on the great success of last year’s program (meet our amazing 2019 IGF Youth Ambassadors!), we keep offering this program in 2020 and continue to empower young adults from all around the world by:
- Building their capacity through training.
- Fostering a new cadre of young Internet leaders who are motivated to learn, engage, and act within their region and beyond.
- Partnering with organizations to broaden the depth and breadth of the program.
- Reinforcing the importance of multi-disciplinary leaders in fostering the sustainability, robustness, security, stability and development of the Internet.
- Promoting youth citizenship, diplomacy, volunteerism and community service as key aspects of next generation leadership.
- Broadening their experience and enabling their participation in public policy debates.
- Providing them with opportunities to participate in the global Internet ecosystem and to interact and engage with the broader Internet Governance community.
- Increasing their visibility and preparing them to deliver more meaningful impacts at the local, regional and global levels.
- Mobilizing youth beyond Internet Governance specific topics.\
All applicants must be:
- Internet Society Members (if you are not a member yet, please, join us!)
- Between 18-30 at the date of the IGF
- Able to present a strong motivation for Internet Governance
- Able to demonstrate interest and expertise in issues on the IGF agenda
- Comfortable with public speaking and communicating positions
- Able to demonstrate interest and experience in key Internet governance related issues
- Capable of appropriately representing the Internet Society and its views and policies as an Ambassador during the IGF
- Capable of continuing to work with the Internet Society locally after the IGF
- Fluent in English
- Able to spend a minimum of 6 hours each week during the eLearning Phase
- Ready to take part in the meetings and webinars
- Not been selected as Internet Society’s IGF Ambassador, [email protected] Fellow, or IGF Youth Ambassador before.
After Being Selected:
The individuals who are selected as IGF Youth Ambassadors participate at Webinar Series led by global Internet Governance experts to deepen their knowledge, present their projects/ideas and be prepared for the IGF. In this year’s version, there will also be webinars on Internet Society 2020 Projects, specific sessions led by partners and one training to staple soft-skills in the field of international relations and diplomacy run by Institut Open Diplomacy. There would potentially be more opportunities during this phase, such as a mentorship component.
Attending the IGF
IGF Youth Ambassadors will attend the Internet Governance Forum in 2020 remotely due to COVID-19. They might also have an opportunity to attend the IGF physically in 2021 if there is an in-person event.
Collaborative Leadership Exchange
IGF Youth Ambassadors will attend a virtual dynamic leadership session with Internet Society community members, youth representatives from other programs, Internet Society staff and other IGF attendees. This session takes the form of an unconference, with the agenda being crowdsourced by attendees, and breakout groups facilitated to create pockets of common interest and interaction. The goal is to build/deepen relationships and foster community around youth engagement.
How to Apply:
June 28, 2020.