Each year, Technovation invites teams of girls from all over the world to learn and apply the skills needed to solve real-world problems through technology.
Technovation Girls is a free technology-based program for girls ages 10-18. Working in teams (of 1-5), girls find a problem in their community and build a mobile app to help solve it. Along the way, they develop collaboration, problem-solving and leadership skills. Technovation Girls will take 30+ hours to complete (we recommend allocated about 12 weeks to finish) and is completely free.
Last year, five teenage girls from Regina Pacis Secondary School Onitsha, Anambra State won the Gold Medal at the World Technovation Challenge in the Silicon Valley in San Francisco, US. The team, named Save A Soul, comprised of five brilliant girls: Jessica Osita, Promise Nnalue, Adaeze Onuigbo, Nwabuaku Ossai, and Vivian Okoye. The girls developed the “FD-Detector”, an app that combats the menace of fake drugs in Nigeria. The app can ascertain the genuineness of a drug by just scanning the barcode.
To join the competition, a girl must create or join a team on this online platform, have a parent/guardian sign the consent form and meet the following Student Participation criteria:
- All students must be between the ages of 10 to 18 as of August 1, 2020.
- All students must identify as female. No males can enter the competition.
- Teams are composed of 1 to 5 students. Students can only join 1 team.
- Competition Divisions are based on the age of the oldest student on the team.
- Students can participate in Technovation Girls for multiple seasons until they reach the age of 18.
- Students can work with the same team members and mentors, but they cannot submit the materials to competition over multiple years.
- Teams can explore the same problem, but the app prototype must be different each year.
- Official Start of 2020 Season: January 14, 2020
- Registration as student or mentor: Last Day to Register as a student or mentor (All members of your team must have registered and joined your team) is March 16, 2020
- Registration for volunteers who’d like to help choose the winners of our competition: March 23, 2020
- Competition Submission Deadline: April 20, 2020. 19:00 UTC
- Regional Pitch Events & Online Judging: Mid-April – Mid-May, 2020
- Semifinal Online Judging: Early June, 2020
- Technovation Global Summit: August, 2020