Few people cared about blockchain technology or its industry a few years ago. However, things have changed, and drastically so. Blockchain technology presently offers significant career opportunities. It is one of the fastest-growing industries, as there is a high demand for the blockchain expertise.
Blockchain technology has many fields of application. So, if you are wondering how to build a career path in blockchain technology, you should start by carrying out a skill audit. Make a list of what you can do, then fashion it for the blockchain space.
Another way is to search for skills to learn, courses to take, and investments to make. All these will help increase your options and kickstart your career in blockchain technology.
7 Ways How to Build a Career Path in Blockchain Technology
As earlier said, the blockchain industry is proving to be a significant career destination. According to Hiring Lab, thanks to the technology’s increasing relevance in the world and its many opportunities, blockchain-related jobs jumped 118% from September 2020 to July 2021.
In no particular order, below are 7 available options for you, when deciding how to build a career path in blockchain technology:
- Blockchain Developer: Blockchain developers are in high demand, and are currently one of the highest-paying tech jobs in Nigeria and around the globe. This career path requires the skill of developing smart contracts, crafting and building blockchain systems, and developing and optimizing protocols. Apparently, this skill is peculiar as it is a niche role. While blockchain development might sound complex, it can be learnt and practised. It is also not the only path into the industry.
- Blockchain Community Manager: As a community manager, you act as the face of the brand you represent. You portray their voice and tone, and help build, grow, and manage their online community. You also serve as a bridge between the community and the company you work with. It can be exciting and engaging. As more blockchain companies are created, there is a need for a strong online presence, and this increases the need for blockchain community managers.
- Blockchain Product Manager: Blockchain companies tend to run on developing many products, depending on the solution they desire to create. The different products require product managers to research and discover the vision, goals, and potential of a product. This manager has a strategic responsibility that affects the development of the products. Product managers set and sell the vision of the product to the team. They make known the requirements and strategy to achieve the product’s goal.
- Blockchain Project Manager: While the product manager deals with the product’s development and its release, the project manager focuses on overseeing the whole project, coordinating and managing the vision and goals laid out by the product manager. The project manager creates and schedules plans to see that things work from start to finish.
- Blockchain Writer: As the blockchain industry emerges, the demand for quality content answering rising questions increases. If you are great at research and clear, understandable documentation, this is a great career option. You can start a blog in the blockchain niche or you can freelance. You can also serve as a content writer for a blockchain brand. The opportunities keep growing.
- Blockchain UI/UX Designer: UI/UX designers, using design principles, apply interactive and visual measures for positive user experience on platforms. As blockchain products are developed, the user’s experience is taken into consideration. The blockchain UI/UX designer makes it as cohesive as possible for the end user or customer. These designers participate in all phases of the design process.
- Blockchain Legal Consultants: As organizations and systems adopt blockchain technology, legal issues will arise. Also, the need for legal expertise for direction and advice before making investment decisions will increase as the technology emerges. The key difference between a blockchain legal consultant and others is that this consultant needs a team of experts who have deep knowledge of the technology and all it consists of.
Blockchain technology is emerging, and its impact and reach are still speculative, at best. However, an obvious truth is that many traditional roles are transferred to the industry. There remains a need for accountants, analysts, PR personnel, marketers, and various managers. What is essential, though, is the need for each player to understand the new technology.
On how to build a career path in blockchain technology, an important point is knowing the capabilities, use cases, and trends in the space. With this, every new player can make a successful shift in their career.